Last year the awarded $1,000 scholarships to students members in NY. They hosted a conference in the fall where professionals could attend for CME hours and students could gain more knowledge about specific topics and most importantly, students could play Jeopardy!
Why should you join NYSSPA as a PA student? $75 one time cost and be a member until graduation
- Online Newsletters: sharing news & events from around the state and specific to your region
- As a student, you can submit event articles about your class, fundraisers, or trips
- Representation of PAs in NYS to the Legislature, the Governor, the Medical Society of the State of New York, and other regulatory agencies
- Governmental Affairs and legislative initiatives being pursued for the betterment of the PA Profession in NYS
- Lobbying in NYS is a huge task for PA's across the nation, changes made in this state set the path for all other states to follow. If we can achieve new rights, they will benefit from them too
- Job listings, salary report, graduation salaries, member directory, FAQs, and more
- Networking Opportunities at NYSSPA Conferences and Social Gatherings
- NYSSPA Conference is October 7th-9th this year! (more information to come)
- Jeopardy! Students from all over NYS send three players from their school to compete at the NYSSPA Medical Jeopardy. Last year NYIT won the title after some pretty tricky questions. Maybe with some more practice, (and members) AMC will take home the title this year!
- I believe, more than 50% of the school's program as a whole must be members to compete in Medical Jeopardy, this is a new rule as of 2016. Another reason to join! (I will update this once I know the percentage for sure).
- Public Education: NYSSPA actively promotes the PA role within the health care team
- Leadership Opportunities: NYSSPA Members are mentored and encouraged to play an active role in the future of the PA Profession
- Not originally from New York? According to my district director, membership can be transferable! Many states will transfer the NYSSPA membership to their state society. Email the desired state society for more information.
- Apply for scholarships! Each year they award about six, $1,000 scholarships to PA students in NYS
- Application link is below: currently it is not open, check back around June
They provide contact information for PA schools across NY. Joining as a Pre-PA student is only $75 and it is good until you graduate from PA school! Again, like the AAPA membership, this will show dedication to the career when applying to PA schools. Check out the link below for the different locations and contact information for schools in NY.